Director of Legal Services
Luminus Network for New Americans is a non-profit organization located in Columbia, Maryland. For over 40 years, Luminus has provided holistic services for new Americans including immigration legal services, employment services, translation and interpretation, and social services. By providing culturally appropriate services in multiple languages, we are able to develop high quality and necessary programs with and for this underserved population. Our mission is to support new Americans to become self-sufficient and contributing members of local economic development.
Luminus Network for New Americans is a Department of Justice (DOJ) recognized non-profit that empowers immigrants and refugees by providing legal and social services that ensure safety, protection, and agency in the United States. The Director-Legal Services is responsible for direct management of the Legal Services program, all staff in the department, and a portfolio of cases that includes representation of cases before U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), and the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA). The Director-Legal Services is a member of the Luminus leadership team.
The Director-Legal Services leads Luminus’ growing legal team with responsibility for day-to-day management of legal programs including intake and case selection process, case management, documentation, fee collection, and grant writing. The Director maintains immigration and relationship software, reports on client outcomes, and monitors staff caseloads; represents Luminus at legal conferences, provides public education, and serves as a liaison to other service providers; represents clients before EOIR and USCIS; provides orientation and supervision to Luminus staff, DOJ accredited representatives, and legal interns.
The Director maintains outstanding client relations, has a strong working knowledge of immigration law and related issues, periodically educates the local community about immigration-related matters and Luminus’ services, and consults with the Executive Director (ED) and other staff counterparts as needed. Additionally, the Director maintains an excellent working relationship with Luminus’ entire staff, collaborating with staff outside the legal team as needed to provide holistic support to Luminus’ clientele.
Essential duties include (approx. 60%):
- Supervising, mentoring, and providing training opportunities for all legal staff.
- Implementing policies and procedures for case management including intake, case selection and assignment, quality control of legal work, and case file organization.
- Maintaining a billing and fee collection system and serving as liaison with finance functions.
- Collaborating with other Luminus programs to ensure clients have access to non-legal services.
- Researching and identifying grant opportunities and writing grant proposals and reports.
- Maintaining and strengthening software systems and monitoring the status of electronic case files.
- Providing monthly reports on program outcomes, caseloads, and finances.
- Reviewing cases for quality control, assuring adequate documentation and legal sufficiency.
Relevant Essential duties – Direct Services (approx. 40%):
- Screening individuals for relief, determining client eligibility or ineligibility for immigration benefits and counselling accordingly.
- Offering case representation when appropriate, in accordance with the organization’s mission and priorities. Providing appropriate referrals when case representation is not possible.
- Providing internal referrals to clients who present needs not related to immigration legal services.
- Effectively representing and advocating for clients before USCIS and EOIR for Naturalization, Temporary Protective Status (TPS), Family Petitions, Adjustment of Status, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), U-Visas, T-Visas, and any other immigration service available that supports the mission of Luminus.
- Maintaining all required certifications and/or licenses.
- Attending information and training sessions to remain up to date on current immigration law.
- Networking and building relationships with other community-based legal service providers in the area to support Luminus’ advocacy efforts.
- Sustaining organizational status with the DOJ by assuring that the organization and its pertinent staff apply/re-apply as necessary for both organization recognition and legal staff re-accreditation.
In addition to the skills above, the Director-Legal Services is creative and adaptive in meeting the needs of clients and excels as a problem-solver when addressing the protection needs of the clients served.
- 3-5 years of experience practicing immigration law, including representation in immigration court required. This position does not require status as an immigration attorney though this is strongly preferred. Must possess a Law Degree from an accredited law school with a license to practice law in at least one state. Within one year of hire, required to pass the certification exam for admission to the Bar of Maryland.
- At least 5 years of supervisory or leadership experience required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and database management.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Multi-lingual ability preferred, with a preference for Spanish.
- Ability to travel to other locations for court, training, and other business.
Compensation and Benefits
- This is an exempt position at $105,000 with a benefits package including health, dental, disability, and life insurance; generous leave; and a retirement plan.
- If you share Luminus’ vision and possess the necessary qualifications, please send a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com
LUMINUS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard for race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing or service in the military.