Employment Empowerment Intern
Luminus empowers New Americans by offering legal, social, and language services to help them achieve their goals. The Afghan Alliance of Maryland was formed to help support the approximately 73,500 Afghans that evacuated from Afghanistan in August 2021, with the mission to help empower these New Americans with agency so that they can support their own families and ultimately contribute to the fabric of American life. As a part of that mission, Luminus has been working to create resumes, apply candidates for jobs, and provide workforce training to these Afghan families. Barriers have arisen for these families, including access to transportation, that have made it difficult for these candidates to become and stay employed.
Luminus is seeking four, full-time interns to serve in a three-month summer internship from July 1st through September 30th 2022. These interns will be a foundational part of our Transportation Initiative formed to help provide transportation to and from candidates’ jobs, as well as provide direct assistance to Luminus’ Transportation Coordinator and New American Staffing Team. This role is a key actor in breaking down walls that perpetuate poverty, access to careers, and limit the agency of New Americans. Selected interns will play a functional and strategic role in overcoming these barriers while building relationships and developing key learning objectives that will contribute to their own academic and professional careers. Luminus can provide necessary verification for applying this internship towards course credits if applicable, as well as recommendation letters for prospective employers assuming exceptional job performance. Applications will be received on a rolling basis.
Roles/Responsibilities & Learning Objectives
- Interns will be responsible for driving designated candidates daily to and from their places of employment, and thereby directly upholding Luminus’ value and belief that all of society benefits when New Americans are empowered to realize their dreams, contribute to the economic wellbeing of their communities, and participate fully in the life of the community. By helping to provide transportation, interns will be directly aiding New Americans in overcoming this specific barrier to becoming employed and maintaining employment.
- Interns will have the opportunity to learn from and assist the New American Staffing team in creating resumes for candidates seeking employment, helping to brainstorm possible employment opportunities, expanding the Transportation Initiative, as well as other various duties delegated to them by their supervisor.
- Interns will have the opportunity to observe and interact (under supervision) with our software platform, SalesForce.
- Interns will gain insight and experience in working within multiple facets of the Afghan Alliance of Maryland, and gain first-hand experience working with and serving this population in current need.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Interns must have access to their own vehicle to use to transport candidates (and therefore will be driving under their own personal car insurance coverage).
- Interns must have proof of a current driver’s license, car registration, and car insurance.
- Interns must be available for a minimum of 30 hours per week (though there is a possibility of flexibility in hours of commitment depending on the candidates’ varying employment hours).
- In addition to gaining valuable experience in working with the New American community, interns will receive a modest stipend of $1,000 upon the completion of their internship ($300 will be paid after the first month, with the remaining $700 paid upon the completion of the third/final month of the internship).
If you share Luminus’ vision, possesses the necessary qualifications, and have a passion and desire to help serve and come alongside these Afghan families, please reach out directly to email@example.com.