Employment & Retention Specialist
Luminus Network for New Americans empowers immigrants, refugees, asylees and other foreign born individuals and families with legal, social, and language services in their journey as New Americans. Our objective is to ensure full independence as an outcome where agency for those we serve is strengthened, hastened, and successful through a coordinated service model. We are seeking an Employment and Retention Specialist for our New American Staffing program who can focus on strengthening Howard County employers through the placement of immigrants, including Latinos who have been here for some time and Afghans who are more recently arrived.
The Employment and Retention Specialist will be a vital part of Luminus’ goal of making certain that the “customer journey” for those we serve–in this case employers in Howard County and immigrants seeking stable employment and career trajectories– benefit Howard County communities and economy. The Employment and Retention Specialist will be accountable for managing employment related case management, placement, and retention for participants. Tasks include but are not limited to:
Case Management + Job Candidate support
- Work alongside Luminus staff in identifying work-ready and motivated individuals for employment
- Prepare candidates for the particularities of the U.S. workforce, preparing them for soft skills like showing up on time, working with supervisors, communication, and etiquette
- Ensure paperwork necessary for employment is ready before placement
- Capture all data about client backgrounds, skills, and interests in database
- Lead U.S. workplace orientation workshops, support with reviewing resumes, and help candidates prepare for interviews
- Work with employers around opportunities, learning hours, skills needed, and challenges behind each role.
- Assess and support employers in conversations and employer visits
- Find appropriate matches with each employer, in which the fit is most ideal, and employers benefit from new talent
- Support development, growth, and stability of all employees including helping them address any barriers to retention like transportation, childcare, etc.
- Connect hires to other Luminus and non-Luminus programs that will support the employee’s career trajectory
- Work with employers to facilitate Non-HR related support for employees like education & ESL
- Be open to working with existing employees not initially placed through this program
In addition to the skills above, the Employment and Retention Specialist should be creative and adaptive in meeting the needs of refugees in today’s COVID-19 environment, excelling in a role as a problem solver and balancing the needs of those we serve and the employers who need committed labor. This is an exempt position and will be based in Howard County. Employee must have transportation and will be traveling in the County and region to businesses and networking events regularly.
Education and Experience Requirements
Bachelor’s degree; 7+ years of experience in program implementation; multi-lingual candidates with a priority for Spanish.
Compensation & Benefits
Luminus offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including health, dental, disability and life insurance, generous leave, and a retirement plan.
If you share Luminus’ vision and possess the necessary qualifications, please send a cover letter and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Luminus provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing or service in the military.