Employment & Retention Specialist
New American Staffing
The Luminus Network for New Americans empowers immigrants, refugees, asylees and other foreign-born individuals and families with legal, social, and language services in their journey as New Americans. Our objective is to ensure full independence as an outcome where agency for those we serve is strengthened, hastened, and successful through a coordinated service model. We are seeking an Employment and Retention Specialist for our New American Staffing program who can focus on strengthening Anne Arundel County employers through the placement of immigrants, including Afghans who have recently arrived, alongside other immigrant populations including Latinos and all nationalities.
The Employment and Retention Specialist will be a vital part of Luminus’s goal of making certain that the “customer journey” for those we serve, in this case employers in Anne Arundel County and immigrants seeking stable employment and career trajectories, benefit Anne Arundel communities and economy. The ideal candidate will be accountable for managing employment related case management, placement, and retention for participants. Tasks include but are not limited to:
- Work alongside the Afghan Alliance Coordinator, employment specialist(s), and other Luminus staff in identifying work ready and motivated arrivals for employment
- Ready candidates for the particularities of the American workforce, preparing them for soft skills like showing up on time, working with supervisors, communication, and etiquette
- Ensure paperwork necessary for employment is ready before placement
- Capture all data about client backgrounds, skills and interests in database.
- Work with employers around opportunities, learning hours, skills needed, and challenges behind each role.
- Assess and support employers in conversations and employer visits
- Find appropriate matches with each employer where the fit is most ideal, and employers benefit from new talent
- Support development, growth, and stability of all employees including helping them address any barriers to retention like transportation, child care, etc.
- Connect hires to other Luminus and non-Luminus programs that will support the employee’s career trajectory
- Work with employers to facilitate Non-HR related support for employees like education & ESL. Be open to working with existing employees not initially placed through this program
In addition to the skills above, the Employment and Retention Specialist should be creative and adaptive in meeting the needs of refugees in today’s COVID19 environment, excelling in his/her role as a problem solver as they balances the needs of those we serve and the employers who need committed labor. This is an exempt position and reports to Program Manager for Family & Community Services and will be based in Anne Arundel County.
Education and Experience Requirements
Bachelor’s degree; 7+ years of experience in program implementation; multi-lingual candidates with a priority for Pashto, Dari, and/or Spanish.
Compensation & Benefits
Luminus offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including health, dental, disability and life insurance, generous leave, and a retirement plan.
If you share Luminus’s vision and possess the necessary qualifications, please send a cover letter and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Luminus provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing or service in the military.