The Luminus Network for New Americans is a Howard County based non-profit serving the region that empowers immigrants and refugees by providing legal and social services that ensure safety, protection, and access to community resources and opportunities. The CEO is responsible for providing strategic leadership for Luminus by working with the Board of Directors to establish both short- and long-term goals, strategies, plans, and policies. The CEO provides thoughtful leadership that is inclusive, transparent, and empowering in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors. This is a full-time exempt position.
Essential duties include:
- Board Governance. The CEO reports and communicates with the Board to provide all information necessary for the Board to function properly and make informed decisions. To fulfill the mission of Luminus, the CEO works directly with Board members to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising, and to increase the organization’s overall visibility.
- Mission and Strategy. The CEO works with the Board to develop mission, vision, values, and strategic plans. The CEO provides leadership and management to ensure that the mission and core values of the organization are put into practice. The incumbent spearheads the development, communication, and implementation of effective growth strategies and processes, develops implementation plans, and advises the Board when milestones are reached.
- Community and Public Relations. The CEO serves as primary spokesperson to constituents, media, and the general public. This position represents the organization with clients, investors, and business partners, and meets with community members and organizations to tell the Luminus story and to gain financial support. The CEO oversees marketing and other communication efforts.
- Fiscal Management. The CEO develops the annual budget, establishes income and expense parameters, determines specific expenditures within approved budget lines, and responds to auditor findings. Working with the Board, the CEO develops financial policies and internal controls, and reports to the Board on cash flow, budget to actual, and other key financial measures.
- Resource Development and Maintenance. The CEO works with the Board to develop and execute fundraising strategies. The CEO creates new opportunities, promotes stronger branding, and cultivates relationships with potential funders. The incumbent identifies, cultivates, and solicits major and planned gifts and forges relationships with foundations, corporations, individuals, and community organizations. This position manages and coordinates volunteer and professional relations in support of agency events, major and planned gift fundraising activities, and annual campaigns.
- Program Planning. The CEO develops and implements programs, ensuring that programs and services support the organization’s mission and strategic plan, and providing evidence of program effectiveness.
- Operational and Agency Management. The CEO oversees the operations of Luminus, including the development and implementation of plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes, and personnel management designed to accommodate the strategic planning of Luminus.
- Leadership Development. The CEO intentionally develops leadership capabilities in staff focusing on training, education, development opportunities, and delegation of responsibility.
In addition to the essential duties listed above, additional duties, responsibilities, and activities may be assigned to the CEO as determined by the Board and required by circumstances.
Education and Experience Requirements
- 10-15 years in various leadership/management roles, including senior-level non-profit experience.
- Master’s degree in relevant field or relevant experience preferred.
- Ability to communicate the organization’s vision, mission, and values, and to collaborate with a wide range of community stakeholders, including local, state, and federal elected officials.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit, including experience developing and implementing public-private partnerships to achieve community-wide social and economic goals.
- Proven track record of success in leadership positions overseeing operations of an organization while maintaining solid relationships with staff, board, donors, and community.
- Expert knowledge of current issues affecting the targeted population and sensitivity to the political environment.
- Successful resource development and fundraising experience.
- Extensive experience in leading the process of on-going strategic planning and implementation. Visionary ability to provide scope to the organization’s planning and challenges.
- Excellent communications skills including strong writing, public speaking, and listening skills.
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development, and task facilitation.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and analytical ability to drive results in support of Luminus’ mission.
- Non-profit management skills including leadership in finance, human resources, administration, and information technology.
- Excellent supervisory and team-management skills.
Send your resume and cover letter to ApplyCEO@beluminus.org.
Luminus is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth and pregnancy-related conditions), gender identity or expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances.