The Luminus Network for New Americans is a DOJ recognized nonprofit that empowers immigrants and refugees by providing programs and direct services to help them access community resources and opportunities. The Staff Attorney is responsible for direct management of a portfolio of cases that includes representation of cases before USCIS, EOIR, the BIA and ICE. This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
The Staff Attorney will contribute to Luminus’s growing legal unit, which includes supporting the strategic direction as established by the Legal Director, while also devoting the majority of his/her time to providing direct legal services to clients. In that role, s/he will be accountable to seeking successful outcomes for clients and s/he will be expected to measure and report outcomes to the organization.
The services he/she may provide include, but are not limited to, providing general consultation, completing Department of Homeland Security (DHS) forms and any other related forms on behalf of the client, and representing clients before DHS. Responsibilities include detailed intake, client screening, client counseling, referrals to other professionals when appropriate, case preparation and filing, and full case management until case completion.
This individual will be expected to maintain outstanding client relations, have a strong working knowledge of immigration law and related issues, periodically educate the local community about immigration-related matters and Luminus’s services, and consult with the Legal Director and Immigration Counselors as needed. Additionally, this individual will be expected to maintain an excellent working relationship with Luminus’s entire staff, collaborating with staff outside the legal team as needed in an effort to provide holistic support to Luminus’s clientele.
- Screen individuals for relief and determine client eligibility or ineligibility for immigration benefits and counseling accordingly.
- Offer case representation when appropriate, in accordance with the mission and priorities of the organization. Provide appropriate referrals when case representation is not possible.
- Provide internal referrals to clients who present needs not related to immigration legal services.
- Effectively represent and advocate for clients before USCIS, EOIR, the BIA and ICE with respect to; Naturalization, Family Petitions, Adjustments of Status, Consular Processing, DACA, U-Visas, T-visas, Affirmative and Defensive Asylums, Stays of Removal and any other immigration service available that supports the mission of Luminus.
- Represent clients in Immigration Court removal hearings and USCIS interviews.
- Prepare and submit applications to USCIS, the Immigration Court, the BIA, ICE.
- Maintain proper client files, including documentary evidence required to prove eligibility for legal benefits; continually update client case notes and track case outcomes in Luminus’s database.
- Prepare all necessary motions for deportation cases whenever applicable.
- Follow-up when necessary to ensure service delivery.
- Follow-up on cases and update clients in a timely manner.
- Compile reports as directed by Managing Attorney.
- Maintain all required certifications and/or licenses.
- Attend information and training sessions to remain up to date on current immigration law.
- Network and build relationships with other community-based legal service providers in the area to support Luminus’s advocacy efforts.
- Handle administrative duties such as initial intake, copying, mailing, filing and data reporting, which cannot be completed by the front office staff.
- Participate in community outreach activities and meetings to promote services and immigration benefits.
In addition to the skills above, the Staff Attorney should be creative and adaptive in meeting the needs of clients in today’s political and COVID19 environment, excelling in his/her role as a problem solver as he/she addresses the protection needs of the immigrants we serve.
Education and Experience Requirements
- A Bachelor’s Degree and a Law Degree from an accredited law school with a license to practice law in at least one state required. Within one year of hire, required to pass the certification exam for admission to the Bar of Maryland.
- 3-5 years of experience practicing immigration law, including representation in immigration court required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and database management.
- Excellent communication, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Multi-lingual candidates preferred, with a preference for Spanish speakers.
Compensation and Benefits
Luminus offers a competitive salary at $70,000 along with a benefits package including health, dental, disability and life insurance, generous leave, and a retirement plan.
If you share Luminus’ vision and possess the necessary qualifications, please send a cover letter (including salary requirements) and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Luminus provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing or service in the military.