Associate Immigration Attorney
The Luminus Network for New Americans is a non-profit located in Columbia, Maryland that empowers immigrants, refugees, asylees and other foreign-born individuals and families with legal, social, and language services.
The Associate Immigration Attorney will assist with meeting with clients to ascertain their needs and representing clients’ interests at interviews with the United States Citizenship Immigration Services and the Executive Office for Immigration Review (Immigration Court).
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Make regular appearances in immigration court.
- Assisting in supervising DOJ accredited reps and paralegals.
- Managing a significant client caseload of affirmative and defensive cases.
- Directly provide comprehensive legal services.
- Performing conflict-of-interest checks.
- Performing over-the-phone and in-person intakes and consultations.
- Preparing applications.
- Obtaining supporting documents.
- Conducting research.
- Preparing briefs.
- Representing clients at interviews and hearings, family-based immigration, consular processing, removal defense, asylum, U visas, waivers, and naturalization.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctorate or LLM (Any State Bar Admission Required)
- Immigration law experience (3 years min preferred)
- Must have litigation experience.
- Must have experience with asylum cases
- Prosecutorial discretion, and other removal defense experience is preferred.
- Strong case management, legal research, and legal writing skills.
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate with a large team.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfort using case management software, Microsoft Word, Adobe, and other programs standard to day-to-day work in the office.
- Excellent knowledge of legal research techniques and databases.
- Excellent phone skills.
- Excellent organizational and prioritizing skills.
- Interpersonal skills and customer service skills required.
$70,000 – $75,000 Annually.
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Paid Time Off
To apply, please email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
LUMINUS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard for race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing or service in the military.