Immigration Attorney (Contractual)
Luminus Network for New Americans is a non-profit organization located in Columbia, Maryland. For over 40 years, Luminus has provided holistic services for new Americans including immigration legal services, employment services, translation and interpretation, and social services. By providing culturally appropriate services in multiple languages, we are able to develop high quality and necessary programs with and for this underserved population. Our mission is to support new Americans to become self-sufficient and contributing members of local economic development.
The Contract Immigration Attorney will assist auditing current immigration matters being handled by Luminus, entering necessary case posture and notes into a legal database. This position is for an experienced immigration attorney to help Luminus on a contractual basis, also known as an independent contractor under the 1099 tax classification.
- Auditing immigration matters before EOIR, USCIS, BIA or other courts or tribunals.
- Managing a significant caseload of affirmative and defensive cases.
- Performing conflict-of-interest checks.
- Performing over-the-phone and in-person intakes and consultations.
- Preparing applications.
- Obtaining supporting documents.
- Conducting research.
- Preparing briefs.
- Being present onsite.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctorate or LLM (Any State Bar Admission Required)
- Immigration law experience (3 years min preferred)
- Must have litigation experience.
- Must have experience with asylum, humanitarian, and family-based cases.
- Other removal defense experience is preferred.
- Strong case management, legal research, and legal writing skills.
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate with a large team.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfort using case management software like Docketwise, Microsoft Word, Adobe, Salesforce and other programs standard to day-to-day work in the office.
- Excellent knowledge of legal research techniques and databases.
- Excellent phone skills.
- Excellent organizational and prioritizing skills.
- Interpersonal skills and customer service skills required.
- Spanish fluency preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
- $34 – $38 an hour.
- No benefits.
- This position is that of an independent contractor, and not an employee of Luminus. The Contract Immigration Attorney will be responsible for paying their own federal and state income tax, along with self-employment taxes, in accordance with IRS regulations.
- The Contract Immigration Attorney will not be eligible for employee benefits, including but not limited to health insurance, paid leave, or workers’ compensation.
- The Contract Attorney will have the flexibility to set their own hours within the hours of operation of the office and manage their workload as agreed upon in the contract terms, ensuring that all job duties are provided in a timely and professional manner.
- It is expected that the Contract Immigration Attorney will maintain their own professional liability insurance.
- The relationship between the firm and the Contract Immigration Attorney will be governed by a written contract offer specifying the terms of engagement, compensation, and the nature of the working relationship.
To apply, please email resume to email@example.com.
LUMINUS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard for race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing or service in the military.